Aquinas College offers an extensive sporting program that caters for all students’ needs throughout the year. The College is proud to not only offer weekly sporting fixtures as part of the Association of Gold Coast Colleges competition, but to provide students various pathways to compete at representative levels for a range of individual and team-based sports.
Our three major sporting carnivals throughout the year (Swimming, Cross Country and Athletics) are always a highlight for the Aquinas community. The standard of competition, as well as the house spirit and involvement of all students, further enhances the college sporting experience.
As part of the Hinterland District, students who perform at a high level and wish to pursue representative honours can do so through the various pathways. Selection in Hinterland squads/teams allow students to gain further selection in South Coast and Queensland teams, as well as National honours.
The annual Aquinas College Sport Awards evening is a tradition that further promotes and celebrates the success of our students and teams on the sporting field. Each year all students who have achieved significant representative honours are acknowledged as part of the evening, as well as the different college teams.
Key features of the Aquinas College Sporting Program include:
- An inclusive weekly program that allows all students to participate in competitions against other Gold Coast based schools as part of the Association of Gold Coast Colleges. These sports include AFL, Basketball, Rugby League, Oztag, Soccer, Touch Football, Tennis, Netball, Volleyball, Futsal and Cricket.
- A term 4 junior sport program which offers students the opportunity to experience various sports, as delivered by qualified expert coaches. These include such sports as AFL, golf, swimming, surf safety and ice-skating.
- Rugby League, Netball and Athletics Excellence classes delivered as part of the junior curriculum.
- A member of the powerful Hinterland District, allowing our students a pathway to gain selection in district, South Coast, Queensland and Australian teams. These opportunities not only exist for the three main carnivals (swimming, cross country and athletics) but various sports throughout the year.
- Aquinas Representative Teams in various competitions including Rugby League, Netball, Human Powered Vehicle, AFL, Equestrian, Kokoda Challenge, Touch Football and Basketball.
- Outstanding facilities that include rugby league fields, an athletics track, AFL ground and gymnasium. Furthermore, a modern undercover facility now caters for netball, basketball and volleyball with electronic scoreboards.
Aquinas College is proud to provide every student with an opportunity to participate in a range of different sports on a regular basis through the various programs offered.